See this beautiful girl? She is the same girl she was yesterday, although today she knows more.
As long as I can remember, I've known. My husband has known. I'm pretty sure the grandparents and maybe even and aunt or uncle knew. But this girl ... she didn't know. And my husband and I agreed a long time time ago that we wouldn't tell her. We would let her discover it. Today was that day. Today was the day my baby girl discovered the birth mark on her left cheek. She is 10 1/2 years old. You can see it in this picture ... it's that slightly darker patch of skin on the far side of her cheek, just under her temple. We knew that she'd eventually find it. We knew she'd probably hate it. We knew that a little make up would cover it up as she got older. We knew that. We knew it was not a big deal. We know she is beautiful. And smart. And talented. And a great kid!
This morning she told me she had a green thing on her face. No, it is not green, and yes, I know it is there. It has been since as long as I can remember. And that's all that I said to her. Because it's not that big of a deal.
See this beautiful girl? She is the same girl she was yesterday, although today she knows more.

No comments:
Post a Comment